As a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI) you will be qualified to teach all PADI courses from Discover Scuba Diving up to Divemaster using the PADI system of diver education, the most instructionally solid system in diving.
The PADI Instructor Development Course or “IDC”, has two components, consisting of part one, The PADI Assistant Instructor Course (A.I.), followed by part two, the Open Water Instructor programme. When you have completed these, you will attend an “IE” (Instructor Examination) The entire IDC at Scuba Futures takes 16 days.
PADI Course Director, Neil Richards, will show you the latest teaching techniques and continually assess and guide you on your teaching and presentation skills whilst using the entire system of PADI support materials.
OWSI Course Details
Scuba Futures run the PADI IDC course over 16 days. As well as the required IDC sections, you will be given extra workshops and practice time so you will be more than ready for your Instructor Examinations (IE). The IDC has several sections:
- IDC Preparation Course – This is a 2 day course and is optional but highly recommended. It will make sure your skills and theory are at instructor level before you start.
- Assistant Instructor (AI) Course. – This is the first part of the IDC taking a minimum of 4 days. (The PADI AI Course can be taken as part of the IDC or a stand alone course)
- Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI) Course. This is the second part of the IDC and takes a minimum of 5 days. The AI and OWSI are normally run together as part of a full IDC.
- Emergency First Response Instructor (EFR) Course. – This is a prerequisite for all new instructors before taking the IE, and is a one day course.
- Mock IE Exams – The last 2 days before the PADI IE we will conduct a mock IE. This is a chance to get ready and build confidence on the 2 days before you progress to the real IE Exams.
- Instructor Exam – The IE takes 2 days and is a comprehensive exam run by Instructor Examiners sent from PADI headquarters. After successful completion of the IE you will be a certified PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor.
- IE Party – Once you have finished, it’s time to celebrate !
Bonus Workshops included in our IDC schedule.
- Descent and Ascent Workshop – Manage group descents/ascents safely, includes buoyancy control.
- CESA Workshop – Learn how to teach the most misunderstood of all skills!
- eRDPml workshop – How to use and teach the Electronic Recreational Dive Planner, multi-level.
- Practice days – Plenty of extra time to practice your skills including additional practice presentations.
- Rescue Workshop – To ensure a perfect Rescue demonstration on your IE and when teaching. Includes extra knots and lift bag practice.
- Employment workshop – Learn how to find a job in the diving industry, how the industry works, what employers look for, dive locations etc.
Scuba Futures guarantees success on the PADI Instructor Exams. Any candidate who has attended our entire IDC and prep course, who doesn’t pass, can attend the next IDC for FREE.
For more in depth information, please select a topic below. Check this year’s IDC course schedule, to see which one you would like to attend.
PADI IDC Performance Requirements
What can you teach?
IDC Schedule 2016
Prices and IDC Packages